- 1. Requirements Management
- 1 What is Requirements Management?
- 2 Why do you need Requirements Management?
- 3 Four Fundamentals of Requirements Management
- 4 Adopting an Agile Approach to Requirements Management
- 5 Conquering the 5 Biggest Challenges of Requirements Management
- 6 Three Reasons You Need a Requirements Management Solution
- 2. Writing Requirements
- 1 Functional requirements examples and templates
- 2 Product requirements document template and examples
- 3 How to write system requirement specification (SRS) documents
- 4 Adopting the EARS Notation to Improve Requirements Engineering
- 5 Jama Connect Advisor™
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions about the EARS Notation and Jama Connect Requirements Advisor
- 7 How to Write an Effective Product Requirements Document
- 8 Functional vs. Non-functional requirements
- 9 What Are Non-Functional Requirements and How Do They Impact Product Development?
- 10 Characteristics of Effective Software Requirements and Software Requirements Specifications (SRS)
- 11 8 Do’s and Don’ts for Writing Requirements
- 3. Requirements Gathering and Management Processes
- 4. Requirements Traceability
- 1 What is Requirements Traceability and Why Does It Matter for Product Teams?
- 2 How to Create and Use a Requirements Traceability Matrix
- 3 Live Traceability vs. After-the-Fact Traceability
- 4 How to Overcome Organizational Barriers to Live Requirements Traceability
- 5 Requirements Traceability, What Are You Missing?
- 6 Four Best Practices for Requirements Traceability
- 8 What Are the Benefits of End-to-End Traceability During Product Development?
- 5. Requirements Management Tools and Software
- 6. Requirements Validation and Verification
- 7. Meeting Regulatory Compliance and Industry Standards
- 8. Project Management
- 9. Measuring Requirements
- 10. Systems Engineering
Requirements Gathering and Management Processes
Requirements gathering is the process of understanding what you are trying to build and why you are building it. Requirements gathering is often regarded as a part of developing software applications or of cyber-physical systems like aircraft, spacecraft, and automobiles (where specifications cover both software and hardware). It can, however, be applied to any product or project, from designing a spaceship to building a patio deck.
In this chapter, we look at:
- Best practices for requirements gathering
- Defining and implementing requirements baselines
- Requirements gathering techniques for Agile teams
- Requirements analysis
In this Chapter:
3.1 – What is Requirements Engineering?
3.2 – A Guide to Requirements Analysis for Product Teams
3.3 – 11 Requirements Gathering Techniques for Agile Product Teams
3.4 – A Guide to Requirements Elicitation for Product Teams
3.5 – What is requirements gathering?
3.6 – Defining and Implementing a Requirements Baseline
3.7 – How Long Do Requirements Take?